“Sing to the LORD, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!” – Psalm 96:2-3
After reading these verses I began to think about God’s glory. My mind quickly came to many other passages in the Bible about God’s glory. I began to search for more verses that speak of God’s glory and was amazed to see how much God cares for His own glory. In fact we can see in Scripture that God often does things for the very purpose of His glory.
For example we read in Isaiah 48:9-10:
“For my name’s sake I defer my anger, for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, that I may not cut you off. Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in the furnace of affliction. For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another.”
It is clear to see from this passage that God acts according to what will bring him the most glory. Over and over in Scripture we can see that God’s motive is His glory.
- We are created for his glory (Is 43:6-7)
- God called Israel for his glory (Is 49:3)
- God rescued Israel from Egypt for his glory (Ps 106:7-8)
- God saved Jeruselam from attack for the glory of his name (2 Kings 19:34)
- Jesus said our good works are to bring God glory (Matt 5:16)
- God forgives our sins for his own sake (Is 43:25)
- We are instructed to do everything for God’s glory (1 Cor 10:31)